Monday, July 20, 2009

Music Notes: Beastie Boy reveals cancer diagnosis, Thom Yorke debuts new song

- Beastie Boy Adam Yauch (aka Adam "MCA" Yauch) revealed that he's being treated for cancer in his parotid (salivary) gland. Yauch revealed this information via a video posted on the band's site. As a result, the band have canceled upcoming tour dates and will push back the release of their next album. In better news, Yauch did say, "The good news is that they did scans of my whole body, and it's only localized in this one area, and it's not in an area that affects my voice, so that's nice." We sincerely wish him the best and hope he gets well soon. [SPIN]

- Thom Yorke debuted a new song ("The Present Tense") while playing the Latitude Festival in the UK this past weekend. Watch video of it here. Yorke treated the crowd to a mix of solo material and Radiohead songs, including fan favorite "True Love Waits" (which was released on the I Might Be Wrong live EP) and the rarity "Follow Me Around," which has never been released on a live or studio album. [Greenplastic]

- Chris Brown has issued a public apology, via his Youtube channel, for beating Rihanna in February. Brown said he did not speak up sooner due to his attorney's advice. He added, "I cannot go into what happened, and most importantly, I'm not going to sit here and make any excuses. I take great pride in me being able to exercise self-control and what I did was inexcusable. I am very sad and very ashamed of what I've done." [Access Hollywood via Yahoo!]

- Weezer are almost done with their next new album, and there are plans to release a Pinkerton reissue. Actual release dates for both have yet to be determined. [Pitchfork]

No comments:

Post a Comment